Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Travel Pillowcases

  As soon as I saw these travel pillowcases online I knew that the kids and I had to make them.  With all the road trips and sleepovers, my kids will get good use out of these.  The best part is they have a shoulder strap to carry and a pocket on the front to hold books, paper, pens, coloring stuff, small toys, or pretty much anything they can stuff in them.  I knew my four year old would totally get a kick out this because he is always shoving little treasures into bags and such.  I was right! As soon as his pillowcase was done he instantly started loading it up with treasures lol!  We had so much fun making these and my girls even had a friend over who got to make one with us.  I'm sure that you could make these any size but we used a half a yard of fabric for each pillowcase.  The first thing we did was to cut out the pocket and sew a hem all the way around to give it a finished look.  We then cut out a letter for each (the first letter of their names) and sewed it onto the pocket.  Next, we cut a long and fairly thick strap out and sewed it in thirds overlapping each other so that it was strong.  Then we sewed the strap to the top back of the pillowcase.  We also sewed the pocket to the front of the pillowcase.  Finally, with both RIGHT sides together we sewed the pillowcase on three sides to give it it's form and then sewed a hem on the open side.  Not much to it and the kids all love them! 
Rider with his Toy Story pillowcase

Kierra and hers

Abigail and her pillowcase

Darien and her pillowcase

Kierra pinning on the pocket

Darien sewing


No comments:

Post a Comment