Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Something To Ponder

     A while back I had shared during a devotion time at church on the topic of "Finishing Strong."  This phrase has really been on my heart lately.  So many times in our lives we allow the cares of this world or even just the busyness of our daily lives to consume us.  We forget that we are here on this Earth for a reason.  We forget that there is a bigger picture.  Something bigger than what I am doing right now that seems to be overtaking my life.  Hebrews 12:1 says, "Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."~NKJV
     This phrase, Finish Strong, applies to so many areas of our lives.  When I am exercising I am telling myself to finish strong.  As I am parenting my four lovely kids, on a daily basis, I am telling myself to finish strong.  You can insert pretty much anything and it will apply.  Ask yourself, What it is in your life that you want to accomplish?  What is it that you want to finish strong? 
     1 Corinthians 9:24 says, Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize?  Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 
Philippians 3:14 tells us to "Press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us."
Let this by our hearts!
     I read about a woman named Wilma Rudolph. She was quoted as saying, "My mother taught me very early I could achieve any accomplishment I wanted to.  The first was to walk without braces."  As a child, Wilma had infantile paralysis caused by a polio virus.  She had to wear a brace on her left foot and leg which became twisted.  By the time she was 12 she had survived scarlet fever, whooping cough, chicken pox, and the measles.  By the time she was 16 she earned a spot in the US Olympic track and field team.  Wilma became the first American woman to win 3 gold medals in a single Olympics.  She was considered the fastest woman in the world in the 1960's! 
This is an AMAZING and inspiring story from someone who was probably told she would never walk without a brace, and probably told she'd never run.  I would say that Wilma Rudolph finished strong! 
     When I hear something like this, it challenges my very being.  This is an amazing and precious life that we live.  We have incredible opportunity every day to finish strong, to change our thinking, to change our actions, to change the world!  Let us walk this life with purpose.  Let us finish strong so that in the end we can say, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7

                                                                Blessings, Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment