Pages

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Homemade Artisan Bread Recipe



I have decided that I am now going to try and make my own bread each week. I am not very found of the bread options in the store and there is something great about making something yourself.. First, before I did this I needed to find a recipe that was both fast (I have a very busy schedule) and good at the same time. I came across this recipe at Make and Takes and decided to give it a try. This was by far the easiest recipe only taking me 1 hour total and it was delicious. 1 recipe produced three loaves of bread for us. Not only did it taste good but, it looked no joke just like the picture above. Since it turned out so great I thought I would share the recipe with all of you. Enjoy..
Recipe for Homemade Artisan Bread 
makes 3 loaves
  • 3 cups lukewarm water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (Note: I used rapid rise east cutting my time down)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher or other course salt
  • 6 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • cornmeal for pizza peel (optional)
1. In a very large bowl, add your flour, yeast, and salt.


2. Pour in your water and stir until combined, just a few minutes.
3. Cover your bowl with foil or greased plastic wrap for 2-5 hours. We left it for 5 hours and it turned out just fine, yay!
4. Divide your dough into 3 loaves with a knife. Cover each loaf with flour and form it into a ball.


5. Lay onto a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or onto a pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal. Let this dough rest for about 30 or so minutes.
6. With a sharp knife, slash the top of each loaf into 3 lines or a criss-cross pattern. This helps let out some steam in the dough. If you don’t slash your bread, the bread will most likely make it’s own tear somewhere during cooking.
7. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and add a small pan filled with 1 cup of water on a lower rack for a water bath. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
8. Place your baked bread on a baking rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment