Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Homemade Playdough


     I have been a mom now for 13 years. I have also been buying playdough for about that long. Why? I have no idea because you can make your own perfectly good playdough at home with your kids!  I have to admit, I love playdough!  I love sitting with my kids and creating fun things.  I haven't met too many kids who don't like it. It's great for older kids (even though they may never admit they like to play with it and squish it), toddlers, as well as smaller ones because they love the textures of it.   So I was really excited when we came across a recipe to make it. You can add food coloring to create the color you want and experiment with mixtures of colors with your kids.  You can even add scents to it if you choose which may not be great for the little ones who may think it's food because it smells good. Below is the recipe that I found for it.  It really is easy and fast but the kids will enjoy it for a while.  

 
1 cup flour
1cup warm water
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp oil
1/4 cup salt
food coloring
  Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. With a wooden spoon stir and cook over medium heat until it starts to ball up. Then remove from pan and knead until smooth.  I added the food coloring while it was in the pan.  Then just store it in an air tight container or bag.  Very easy and very fun!
Rider pouring in the flour

 
pouring cream of tarter

 
in the pan it goes

 
turned this batch blue

 
kneading

 
Rider playing with his finished dough

 
Sarah and Abigail playing with theirs

 
Gabi and Kierra playing with theirs

 

No comments:

Post a Comment