Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Journey Into Sewing

     One thing that I have desired to learn is how to sew.  Now, I would consider myself a "beginner" at sewing.  I know a little bit but I think it would be amazing to know how to sew clothes, purses, pillows, and anything else that jumps out at me.  Even more amazing would be to teach my children how to sew.  Sooo, what better way to learn than to learn together! 
     My husband just bought me a sewing machine for Christmas this year.  That meant that it was time to pick out material and patterns.  WOW!  What a chore! There are so many choices.  The kids decided they wanted to make pajama bottoms and all picked out the material they wanted.  Today the kids (aka Kierra and Abigail with some help from Rider) and I decided to go for it and OH what an experience! Hunter, my 13 year old, stated "MOOMMMMM, I don't want to sew!" Dashing my dreams of teaching all my kids how to sew. But, yeah I get that a 13 year old boy may not care to sew. LOL 
     I've posted some pictures of our sewing experience.  My girls both loved it and were able to help out every step of the way.  It was pretty amazing to be able to teach my girls how to sew and watch how well they picked up on it.  Now, the pajama bottoms turned out pretty good.  We opened the pattern and looked at it. Then looked some more! We did use the pattern to cut them out but after that, I had no idea what I was doing!  So we decided to JUST sew.  Seemed like a wonderful idea until I sewed the bottom of the pant leg (where the foot goes through) completely shut.  Lol!  It's actually not that much fun trying to take thread out of pants but we got it done.  I posted some pictures of the completed project which I am considering a success since they do look like pants.  However, I did not take any close up pictures because the seams are in no way straight.  I would love to say that it's because the kids sewed most of them, but the fact is I DID!
     Aside from all of the hang ups along the way, we had an incredibly fun day.  I can't wait to learn more. I know that my girls are learning a valuable life skill that I am honored to be apart of.

                                                                                  Blessings, Jen



 
Kierra laying out her pattern
Cutting the pattern out

Kierra sewing

Abigail laying her pattern out

Abigail learning to thread the bobbin

Kierra and Abigail with their finished pajama pants :)

                                             




 











 
  




3 comments:

  1. Oh I will for sure be making some. Just thought it would be easier to start with smaller pajamas. I think you need to come make something with me soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya i’m for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.
    Timberland Women's Earthkeepers Mount Holly Tall Lace Duck Boot

    ReplyDelete